Some time ago I made a comment on Twitter that I had a new life goal. While it happens to be the first one in my list below, the actual goal itself is not nearly as relevant as the fact that I voiced it publically. Goals that don’t get written down are like chaff in the wind. Moreover, if we tell others about them, they can hold us somewhat accountable for them – and perhaps even be encouraged to reach for their own goals.
Some of these are probably more appropriate for a bucket list, sort of a fire-and-forget checkbox that I can do once and be happy about, but many require a much more long-term commitment. Because I can, I have lumped them all together into my list of life goals.
I’m not going to warrant anything that I say here. There’s a good chance that some of this stuff will never become a reality. Frankly, I’m okay with that. For me, the journey is more important – and the journey has been great! Right now, I’m happy just having these on my radar. It is my hope and intention to make this particular page highly fluid, posting new goals as I formulate them.
So here they are, David Allen’s current list of life goals:
- Become a CFI and open a community-based flight school.
- Commit “Fingers in the Airport Fence Entwined: The Ballad Of Jimmy Short” to memory, and deliver it to live audiences everywhere. (By the way, I’ve already started on this one.)
- Go on a long cross country in a single-engine piston GA aircraft with Lynda Meeks.
- Fly into IMC complete with a precision instrument approach to minimums with Steve Tupper.
- Start and run a permanent Acro Camp, complete with a full-fledged video production studio (sort of like a skydiving school that specializes in tandems - only way cooler).
- Get a media flight in an F-18 Super Hornet complete with an aircraft carrier launch and recovery. Capture the entire thing with cockpit audio and video, and deliver it to my podcast audience.
- Fly cross-country in a glider with Tony Condon (must land off-field).
- Build a Vans RV-8.
- *NEW* Get a media flight in an SR-71 Blackbird.